2. Manual install (if needed)
If for some odd reason(some hosting companies don’t provide one-click-install for wordpress) You don’t have the option to install wordpress automatically, look this manual guide below
Installing wordpress manually(click to expand)
1) Download wordpress from here : wordpress.org
2) Create a new folder on your desktop and unzip wordpress in it
3) Look for a file named wp-config-sample.php and rename it to:wp-config.php
4) Now open the wp-config.php (with notepad for example) and fill the following lines:
– define – Database name (if you don’t know it, ask thisf rom your hosting support
– define – Your hosoting username
– define – Your hosting password
After you have filled the gaps, save the file
5) Now log into your hosting ftp (download FileZilla for that). The FTP address is usually ftp.yourdomain.com, username and password are the same that you used to register to your host.
6) If there is any file named index – delete it. After that upload all the files from your wordpress folder to your FTP server. I believe you can use drag n drop function in FileZilla.
7) Once you have completed the previous steps, go the URL : yourdomain.com/wp-admin/intall.php
That is the page you should see
Just fill in the forms and you are ready
Pssst- if they don’t have 1-click-installation, maybe you are dealing with a bad shot!
Installing Plugins to Get Mroe out of WordPress
What is a plugin?
Plugins are extensions that are built to expand wordpress capbilities, adding features and functions to your site that don’t come built-in.
They are shorcuts to getting your site to do what you want to, without having to build the feature from scratch.
You can use plugins to do everything from adding photo galleries and submission forms to potimizaing your website and creating an online store.
How do I install a new Plugin?
To start installing pulgins, go to Plugins -> Add New and simply start searching.
Keep in mind that there are over 25,00 0different FREE plugins, so you have got a LOT to choose from!
Installationn is easy – once you find a plugin you like, just click install
But -before you go and install every single one, I suggest you read this article :things you need to know about using WP plugins.
To save you some time, I’ve put together a list of the most popular plugins that webmasters find useful.
1 contact form 7 ; My webstie has a contact form on my About me page. It’s an awesome feature to have, as people(like you!) can fill in the form and send me an email without logging into their own email provvider. If you want to do something similar, definitely get this plugin. P.S. Here’s a step-by-step guide for setting it up.
2 Yoast SEO for WordPress : If you want to make your wordpress site even more SEO-friendly, this plugin is a must-have. Its free, and it’s awesome. You will be able to edit your title tags, meta descriptions and more, all from within the page itself – no more fussing with wordpress settings.
3 google Analytics : Interested in tracking your visitors/traffic and their behaviour? Just install the plugin, connect it with your google account and you are ready to go.
OF course, this is just the tip of the iceberg! Here’s a list of the top 100 plugins for WordPress by WPMU Dev, someone who knows more about WordPress plugins than me…and that is basically it.