Any additional tips for choosing my domain name?
There are a few thing sthat can help you choose your domain name :
1 Is it brandable For example, if you make a site about poetry then best-poetry-website.net is not a good choice : poetryacademy.com or poetryfall.com is much better
2. Is it memoralbe? Short, punchy and clear domain names are much easier to remeber. If your domain name is too fuzzy, too long or spelled in a strange way, visitors may forget it.
3. Is it catchy? You want a domain name that rolls off the tongue, describes what you does and sticks in the head. Coming up with a cool name can be a bit tough since there are apporximately 150 million active domain names in the world right now – but don’t give up.
There is one rule that always applies to domain names : If you like it, go for it.
Thinks to do before the next step : Do some brainstorming to come up with a unique domain name that reflects your future website, business or blog.
Secure your domain name and web hosting. For this I recommned Bluehost.com but you can pick any other web host as logn as it’s reliable and simple.
updae : I made a simpe guid efor bluehost which package to choose how to install wordpress
Step 3 : let’s set up and tweak your website.
Once you have bought your domain name and set up your hosting, you are well on your way!
now it’s time to get your website up and running. The first thing you will need to do is install wordpress to your domain.
Ther are two possible ways to install wordpress, one much easier thatn ther other.
1. One-click-installation for websties like wordpress(and Joomla & Drupla_
Almost every reliable and well-established hosting company has integrated 1click installation for wordpress, which makes getting going a snap.
If you signed up with bluehost or any other similar hositng company, you should find your 1 click installation in your account control panel.
Here are the steps you should follow should be smiilar/same on all the major web hosting comapnies.
1. Log in to your hosting account.
2. go to your control panel.
3. Look for the wordpress icon.
4. Choose the domain wher you want to install your website.
5. Click the Install Now button and you should get access you your New wordpress website.
If you are unable to locate it, look here
2. Manual install(if needed)
If for some odd reason(some hosting companies don’t provide one-click-install for wordpress) you don’t have the option to install worpress automatically, look this manual guide below :
Installing wordpress manually
Pssst – If they don’t have 1 click installation, maybe you are dealing with a bad host.
CHoosing a Theme/Template for your site.
Once you have successfully installed wordpress to your domain, you will see a very basic yet clean site.
But you don’t want to look like everyone else, do you? that’s why you need a theme – a design template that tells wordpress how how your website should look. See a sample version below.
here is where it gets fun : There are thousands of awesome, professionally designed themes you can choose from and customize for a site that’s all your own.
Here’s how to find a theme you like
1. Log into your wordpress dashboard.
If you are not sure how, type in
This is what the wordpress dashboard looks like
Everything is easily labelled. If you are feeling a bit overwhelmed, don’t sweat it – I’m going to show you where to go next.
2. Access Free themes
Once you are in the dashboard, you have got access to over 1500 free themes! Just look along the side bar for appearance, then click themes
If you want something more professional or elegant than what you find her, you can head over to themeforest.net wher there’s a huge library of themes to pick from at varying costs. But before you do that, I really suggeset you at least try spending some time browsing the free themes. Many of them are acutally really professional and well amde; so don’t write them off.
As you can see above, installing a new theme for your website is very easy.
You can search for specific keywords and or use filters to find themes that suit your style. Finding the perfect theme can take a while, but it’s worth it.
You should also look for themes that are responsive, as this means they will look good on any mobile device. just punch it in as one of your keyowrds, and you will be all set!.
3. Install you new theme
Once you have found a theme you like, installing it is as simple as clicking Install followed by activate. Important : Chanigng themes won’t delete your previous posts, pages and c ontent. You can change themes aas often as you want without having to w orry about lose what you have created.
How do I add content and create new pages?
with your theme installed, you are ready to start creating content. let’s quickly run through some of the basics. Adding and editing pages.
Wnat a services page, or an About me page (like I have on my menu at the top of the site)?
1. Look along the sidebar in the wordpress dashboard for pages -> Add new
2. Once you have clicked, you will find a screen that looks a lot like what you have maybe seen in microsoft word. Add text, images and more to build the page you want, then save it when you are done.